Thursday, August 28, 2008

Happy National Day dear Malaysia

Scenario 1
A: I'm a Chinese.
B: So you must be proud hosting the recent olympics and all!
A: Huh?! I'm a Malaysian born Chinese!
B: Opps ignorant me.
(Although I am sure loads of MBCs are proud of their 'motherland')

Scenario 2
C: I'm an Indian.
D: So how's the Taj Mahal? (chessy)
C: Huh?! I'm a Malaysian born Indian!
D: Opps.. ignorant me.

Scenario 3
E: I'm a Malay.
F: So how's the twin towers? (lame)
E: Still standing tall.
F: Duh!

We are taught to differentiate and seggregate ourselves by race and religion since birth. And we have been programmed that way since. I miss those carefree primary school days where we were free to mix with friends from different race. We were all the same once upon a time. Until some of them were whisked away to boarding schools upon completing UPSR. Then one starts to ponder and think. And it was alarming to discover that seggregation among races was the worst in uni. Dinner time means dining with your similar colour. Perhaps things have improved now. I can only hope.

Come this Sunday would be our 51st year of independence from the British. Like hubby dear mentioned before, we should look beyond our differences and unite in what we have in common (a good example in the recent olympics - the relationship between our badminton star that garnered silver and his dedicated coach).. that we are all Malaysians.

0 comments: