Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Braised Mushrooms with Tofu and Cashews

A simple and yummy bean curd dish. Got the inspiration to cook it from 'The Chinese Kitchen'. The recipe calls for dried chinese mushrooms. I did not have any at the moment, so I substituted it with fresh chinese mushrooms. The basic seasonings are the same as the recipe but I added more ingredients. Here is how I did it.

1. Heat oil and stir fry ginger slices till fragrant. Throw in some spring onions and continue frying before adding in a handful of cashew nuts. Fry fry fry. (not sure if I should put in the spring onions when the dish is almost done instead..)
2. Add in some chinese mushrooms and bean curd. Fry fry fry. Add in seasonings - salt and sugar. Pour some water and let it simmer for a few minutes.
3. Add in a dash of sesame oil and about a tablespoon of rice wine. Stir gently, blending everything well.
4. Finally mix 2tsp of cornflour paste with 1Tbsp of light soy sauce, and pour it over the dish to form a clear light glaze.
5. Enjoy!!
I dunno if I'm being syok sendiri or what, but I thought it tasted like what some of the chinese makan shops would dish out! Will try chicken instead of mushrooms and tofu the next time.

3 comments:

Mrs Z said...

Hi Pearly. Was contemplating on what to cook for tonight's dinner. Maybe I should give the dish a try. Thanks for sharing. :D

busygran said...

I love cooking easy dishes. Yours seems easy and what a combination with cashew nuts. Go ahead and add the spring onions!

pearly said...

My pleasure Su! lemme know how yours turn out :)

Busygran: i like cashews and it gives a nice nutty taste.. do try!