Monday, August 23, 2010

Fusion Curry

Chicken curry is one of the dishes that I now can cook without looking at the recipe *ehem*. I joked with hubby that now I can cook it with my eyes closed! Although I am quite satisfied with my chicken curry (dry or with gravy), I think it can still be improved. But fish curry is a different story altogether. I was never really satisfied with my fish curry. I can never get that same taste as my MIL's no matter how I followed her recipe. Probably I haven't cook enough and I think I need to sit through a cooking session with her!


Last week I tried cooking a fusion chicken curry. Fusion because I had in mind to add in some lychees! I could almost hear hubby shrieking there! And I did. I first had this lychee in a curry experience at a nearby Thai restaurant in the form of a bowl of yummy Thai green curry. What a pleasant surprise I had, to find the lychee sweetness amidst the richness of the curry. Then I stumbled upon a blogger Rita's grilled chicken red curry with lychee recipe, and thought to myself that it should be alright to add in lychees in any chicken curry recipes (with gravy). And so I did.
My fusion chicken curry with gravy. A combination of recipes from MIL, mom and my own.
How to:
1. Marinate chicken with garlic-ginger paste, curry powder and light soya sauce overnight.
2. Heat oil. Throw in cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, star anise and cloves. Stir a little and add in chopped/ground shallots. Stir till fragrant.
3. Then put in the marinated chicken and mix well. Add in the curry paste and enough water to cover the chicken. More gravy = more water (add in ground almonds or cashews for thicker gravy - a tip I got from mom). Throw in some potatoes. Let the mixture simmer. Add milk / coconut milk / yoghurt and continue simmering.
4. When the curry is almost done, add in the tomatoes, hard-boiled eggs, lime juice, lychees (with a little syrup), and salt to taste. Simmer a little bit more and your curry is ready!
I like it! And it could certainly do with more lychees and syrup (I was a bit careful with how much lychees I put in as I'm not sure if it'll turn out alright). But hubby doesn't seem to quite fancy this dish. He said it's as if the lychees accidentally dropped into the pot of curry!! Yup he's a stickler to traditions esp when it comes to the food he's used to!

3 comments:

busygran said...

Delicious-looking curry! Dare to venture in cooking and you will be surprised at the results. So the lychees worked for you! :)

Mrs Z said...

Hats off to you Pearly for daring to be adventurous with your cooking. I don't think I have it in me. Boring old me will just stick to the traditional recipes. Having said that, I think your fusion curry looks very inviting. :D

pearly said...

Yup Busygran, prob cos i love lychees :)

Thanks Su! Belum cuba belum tahu, kan! ;p