Friday, March 19, 2010

Main masak-masak

Sambal ikan bilis. Anchovies in sambal paste (?). My first attempt (after much bugging from hubby). I must say it was not bad, thanks to the cili boh from the neighbour and mom's instruction. I wonder why I didn't try this earlier. And hubby wonders too!

Six-treasure fried rice. The 'treasures' are prawns, duck liver lap cheong, raisins, baby corns, carrots and snow peas. I would say this is my best fried rice yet.. SELF-PRAISE!!

Ayam sioh. Braised chicken in tamarind juice and coriander powder (?). Sounds complicated but it is actually quite easy. Now, the trick is to get the same taste as mom's. Almost there..

Betik masak titek. Spicy papaya soup. This soup is full of spicy-oomph! Not for the faint-hearted but of course you can control the spiciness with the amount of pepper used. Salted fish will give that extra flavour. Sambal belacan is a nice accompaniment. This is a peranakan dish but I have yet to find it in any of the nyonya restaurants. One of my favourite dishes ever especially when mom cooks it.

Ayam masak merah. Chicken in red sauce (? - haha). My first attempt at this online recipe.

Mixed vegetables with carrots, snow peas and fresh scallops.

Vegetable curry. Used 'fish curry paste' as the base. Not bad at all.

0 comments: