Sunday, April 4, 2010

How do you choose books for your kids?

I love books. All kinds of books including children books. And now I have the pleasure of browsing and choosing books for Annabel. Yes also for myself as I'm reliving my second childhood. *grin* Some are prettily illustrated. Which is an important element when I choose my books. Of course what it is about, and how Annabel can learn from it are also important. I've recently encountered several interesting books and authors, some suitable for Annabel's age and some not quite yet. Some of my favourites are Dr Seuss, Eric Carle, Roald Dahl and Neil Gaiman, to name a few.
The world of Dr Seuss has many zany characters, and his nonsensical rhyming certainly makes reading fun.

Love Eric Carle's artwork. The content of his books is also very suitable for children. In "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" there are small holes throughout the pages indicating the holes the caterpillar made eating through the various food. How exciting!


The Gruffalo has won several awards and recently secured the fifth spot on the UK's top twenty favourite bedtime stories. It tells the tale of a sneaky little mouse's walk into the woods and how his imagination runs wild.

I must admit I have not heard of Maurice Sendak if it's not for the recently released movie of the same name. He is an award winning writer and illustrator for children's literature (if you can draw, then try writing and u can be well on your way to publish a book!). Another story on imagination, and kids can certainly connect with that right? Anyway reading is also all about the imagination.

0 comments: